Monday, August 07, 2006

In Which The Author Becomes Reminiscent

I'm a geek. It's just true, and I fully admit it.
There are many levels to my geekdom, but it usually falls into four areas:
comic books
the Whedonverse (Buffy, Angel, Firefly)
books
collecting new geeky things.

Today, let's begin with...
Part I: Comic Books

I'm a DC girl, through and through. I collect Wonder Woman paraphernalia. I swoon over Batman and The Flash (Wally West, not so much Bart or Barry or Jay). I want to join the Birds of Prey. Now don't get me wrong. I occasionally foray over into Marvel, for my Astonishing X-Men fix, for The Ultimates, The Runaways, The Young Avengers, and, most recently, Marvel's Civil War. But there's just something inherently iconic about DC that appeals to me. And you know, I never did recover from wearing Wonder Woman underroos underneath my grade school uniform. It was like I had my own secret identity. Sure, on the surface I was the chubby kid with a retainer and glasses, thick curly (read frizzy) hair, who was more comfortable living in books than outside of them. But underneath? Underneath I was Wonder Girl, Wonder Woman in training, ready to save the world. I mean, I had a costume underneath that scratchy wool school skirt. And no one knew but me.

And my mother. But that's a whole other issue.

I fell away from comic books for a while, until my husband reintroduced me to them. I had forgotten, you see, how wonderful the world can be when superheroes save the day. And comic books had *changed*. There were moral quandaries, emotional problems, social issues to be worked out--or not--in an issue, or in a run.

I envision this blog (how I hesitate to use the term blog!) to be a geek journal of sorts. A place to work out my reading and viewing issues and pleasures. A place to discuss comic books, or book books, or movies or television shows or other aspects of my nerdiness that rarely get to come out and play.

Some come out and play.
I double dog dare you.

3 Comments:

At 5:47 AM, Blogger Dr. Peters said...

I love the moxie :) And candy.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Amy Reads said...

Sarah,
Of course you love moxie. You, too, have moxie in spades :)
We shall eat candy together, darling, and revel in our moxieness.
Psst. I got a blog. Strange, no? :)

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger The Roof Almighty said...

I have always been scared of you
With your utility belt, your gobbledygoo.
And your batarang
And your Aryan eye, bright blue.
Fledermaus, Fledermuas, O You--

Not God but a bat-signal
So black no sky could squeak through.
Every woman adores a Fascist,
The boot in the face, the brute
Brute heart of a brute like Bruce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home