Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Ten! Ten Scary Movies! Ah ah ah!

It's Halloween, Gentle Reader, and that means pumpkins, costumes, candy, leaves, scary movies, scary music, bats, mummies, and more! This Humble Author always has been a ridiculous Halloween fan, ever since she was a little girl. I dressed up every year for trick-or-treating or, as I got older, for parties, teaching, fun! This year, alas, Mr. Reads and I both teach until late into the evening, so we celebrated on Saturday with our Halloween bash. But we've the house decorated, the cauldron full of chocolate goodies for this kids, and the terrifying Wonder Woman costume for Pup Reads that I posted just a few days ago.

In honor of my favorite holiday season, I offer you my ten favorite horror movies, with links to their IMDB sites. Please feel free to suggest more; I'm always on the lookout for more horror!

Before I begin, a brief note: I adore horror movies, the smarter and more British, the better. But I also love movies that are Big Stupid Fun, and never have pretensions of being anything else. Slither, for example, is Big Stupid Fun to the nth degree, in a *good* way.

Ms. Reads Top Ten Scary Movies
in order, counting down to #1

10) Psycho - I would be remiss in my duties if I did not put Psycho on the list. Classic and perfect.

9) 28 Days Later - We are the scariest things out there. Don't let any monster movie tell you different.

8) Shaun of the Dead - I don't like zombie movies. I like this movie. A lot.

7) The Blair Witch Project - This almost didn't make the list because if you see it once, you lose interest in seeing it again. But it was scary and terrifying in so many great ways, so it belongs here, no?

6) The Shining - Heeerrreeeee's Johnny! Oh, and rivers of blood in hallways *shudder*. Look! Creepy children, too!

5) The Devil's Backbone - Combines ghosts and creepy children, along with post-war anxieties.

4) The Changeling - Haunted Houses and ghosts? A cinematic dream come true!

3) The Haunting - One of my favorite books brought to life on the big screen. The psychological twists and turns make this movie scarier than ghouls and goblins!

2) The Others - Why is it that creepy children are the creepiest horror devices of all?

1) Below - WWII, ghosts, and a sub. What more could you want? This is, in fact, my favorite horror movie of all time.

And some honorable mentions:
Dog Soldiers, The Bunker, Event Horizon, Scream (not necessarily scary, but very smart), Brotherhood of the Wolf, Descent, and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Mr. Reads adds his two cents:
The Thing, Evil Dead II, Slither, Alien, The Birds, and Dawn of the Dead.

2 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Fanboy said...

I hate to admit it, but I generally hate scary movies. Probably something to do with the fact that my mom tried to shelter my brother and I from them since she claimed she couldn't sleep for days after saying the original Psycho. Taking a look at your list, I've only seen 10, 8, 7, 6, and 2. I once lived in a house where the previous owner's son wrote the screenplay for Critters, and it was more bad than scary. Event Horizon freaked me out, as did the Birds. I really like the Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. I did see the first Hellraiser movie, but only because I was forced to go. I think the Alien movies are scary too, but I can deal with them. Of it's a slasher flick, I usually try to avoid it.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger harrogate said...

Mr. Reads and Harrogate were, just the other day, discussing the television series _IT_. If Harrogate remembers correctly, it was deciuded that for all its ultimate cheesiness, there were moments where Tim Curry scared the hell out of you. But then, why not? Dressed to the nines as a psychotic clown, Curry had a great head start, no?

On a lighter note, Harrogate finds _Waterworld_ very frightening. The prospect of ever again being subjected to it, that is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home