Saturday, December 02, 2006

Quick Hits Through My Pop Culture World #3

It's Finals Week, Gentle Reader, which means that I am writing, and grading, frantically. No, no, please, don't worry about me, Friends! I no longer have Final Papers to write. That particular atrocity has long since Gone The Way Of Coursework. Rather, I've that pesky little chapter due, an overseas research trip looming in the not-too-distant future, several papers and essays to grade, *and* my 30th Birthday in a mere Two Weeks.

(And yes, I am always accepting small tokens of celebration and adoration, so if you find the Variant Wasps from the Marvel Legends Line, I would be Quite Happy with either the Red or the Blue. I'm certainly Not Picky!)

But in all seriousness, I have had little time for blogging, much less comics (still way behind), television (three episodes behind and counting for Gilmore Girls), and fun (hmm? I don't even know what That Is Anymore, Friends!). I feel as if I am neglecting *you*, my Darling, Gentlest Readers. So some brief little hits to tide you over until I come up for air once more.

What I'm Watching

Battlestar Galactica
Egad, last night's episode simply Knocked My Socks Off! I am ever the fan of Ms. Sackhoff, but in particular, her portrayal of the tortured, complicated Starbuck sets my knees to knocking. Is she talented? Is she ever!

West Wing
Mr. Reads and I have just finished Season Five, and we are waiting, eagerly, to get our hands on Season Six. Josh and Donna? They're my political Mulder and Scully!

X-Files
Seventh season and I'm back, after Quite The Sabbatical. Mulder and Scully dynamic more intense, solidified, and oh so juicy. I am a 'shipper, Friends. It's Just True. But this season, in particular, seems to be about their friendship conquering Evil, and that's Something Interesting Indeed!

What I'm Reading

Alanna: The First Adventure
At the urging of several of Ms. Pierce's fans, I have picked up the first book in her Alanna series. Not far in at all, unfortunately, but what I've read so far, I've greatly enjoyed. But then I am ever the fan of the 12th Night scenario!

Thirteenth Tale, a Novel
My library book became tragically overdue before I had a chance to finish, but thanks to the beauty that is the Barnes and Noble Membership Card, I was able to purchase the novel for an unbelievable price. Still reading, slowly but surely. Fragile Things by Mr. Gaiman was also tragically overdue, but I'm holding off on purchasing just a little bit longer.

Vanity Fair, a Novel (Without a Hero)
Always and ever, until the chapter is done.

What I'm Playing

Nancy Drew and the Creature of Kapu Cave
Finally finished the game, Dear Reader, and I must admit, it wasn't my favorite of the Nancy Drew Games. But, as always, I look forward to the next mystery, or to the purchase of the mythical Wii, and Ultimate Alliance, whichever comes first.

(My money is on the next Nancy Drew Game, but don't tell Mr. Reads I have so Little Faith!)

What I'm Listening To
Queen. Lots and lots of Queen. Also Tom Waits, Corinne Bailey Rae, Citizen Cope, Muse, The Veils, Journey, Styx, Jeremy Enigk, and Portishead are all making the rounds on the computer and the CD player.

What I'm Buying
Everything. And Anything. Christmas shopping has begun. Mr. Reads and I are almost finished, Gentle Reader, and on December 2nd, no less! It's never happened before in the history of Amy Reads's Christmases, so we'll see how long This Actually Lasts.

More soon, Friends. That, I promise you. Until then, I must bid you adieu, as the red pen calls to me with its sweet siren song.

8 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Amy Reads said...

Hi Loren,
Battlestar Galactica is the greatest show ever!

Well, after Buffy, Angel, and Firefly of course ;)
But yes! And definitely tied with The Office for my favorites of this year. They're the two I look forward to, every week.

I love that show and I thought that the last episode was a great one for all the actors. Katie Sackhoff is wonderful, but Jaime Bamber was great, too. And, Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell...but, I guess they're givens.

Everyone's fabulous, acting and otherwise. The show just gets better and better with every episode, and that's not easy, no?

Now, go listen to "Someone to Love" for me! :)

Hee :) I will! Although it's been Fat-Bottomed Girls, Bicycle, Killer Queens, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Under Pressure for me. Over and over again...
Ciao,
Amy

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger 100LittleDolls said...

Oh, the X-Files, how I miss catching the reruns on TV. I almost was able to catch the entire run of the show through reruns.

Also, which Nancy Drew is your favorite game? I haven't played any of them, and I want to pick up a copy.

The last two weeks of the semester for me too. Except that I'll finally be graduating with my BA in tow.

My brain, how it's mush, I can't write on my blog at all. :(

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Amy Reads said...

Hi 100,
Oh, the X-Files, how I miss catching the reruns on TV. I almost was able to catch the entire run of the show through reruns.

We joined Netflix specifically for X-Files. We got season 1 through the library, and then nowhere in town had the rest, so there you go :) I used to watch a long time ago, and Mr. Reads was an avid watcher, but we're dedicated now, together.

Also, which Nancy Drew is your favorite game? I haven't played any of them, and I want to pick up a copy.

Oh, I like so many of them, but I think my favorites are:
The Curse of Blackmoor Manor, which was the first game I played from this line, and I didn't know any of the tricks, so it took the longest, and was therefore the most fun and challenging :)
Treaser in the Royal Tower is also fun, as is Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon.

The last two weeks of the semester for me too. Except that I'll finally be graduating with my BA in tow.

Huzzah! Congrats! In what subject?

My brain, how it's mush, I can't write on my blog at all. :(

Understood. Grading final papers and working on this diss. I'm mushy, myself.
Ciao,
Amy

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger 100LittleDolls said...

Thanks! I'll definately check out those titles.

My BA is for Poetry, with a minor in Women & Gender Studies--the poetry degree is roughly an equivalent to an English degree. It just denotes that I've taken a lot of workshops and that most of my literature classes focused on poetry.

Good luck with your dissertation!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger supadiscomama said...

"Fat-Bottomed Girls" is by far the best celebration of curvy girls ever! (And when I say curvy girls, I don't mean skinny girls who happen to have boobs!)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Fanboy said...

I enjoyed the BSG too, though everytime she shows that heartfelt emotion, that little smirk has me waiting for her to break out in a TV-Blooperesque laughter.

I've been listening to a lot of Portishead too. When are they going to come out with another album. Grrrr.

And I've been reacquanting myself with Abadazad in it it's new prose-ish format. Familiar with it?

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger je m'amuse said...

Time, I wish there was more of it rather than less! If only Santa could dole out more time to watch television without giving up reading or blogging, how sweet would that be?

I love Queen as well. When we were kids, my sister and I would act out the story to Bohemian Rhapsody while we listened to it on a 45. Those were the days when we had all of the time in the world!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Fanboy said...

It's been a while. Hope that dissertation's going well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home