Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Quick Hits Through My Pop Culture World #4

It's a big comic day for me tomorrow, Gentle Reader. Not only do we have new issues of Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Teen Titans, Civil War, and Y the Last Man, I'm also finally picking up the rest of my backlog from the past few weeks. Neither Mr. Reads nor I have read 52 for a few issues, at least, and we're finally, finally going to get caught up. I've averted my eyes from All Discussions Supernova, and am trying, desperately, to remain unspoilered.

In other news, The Family Reads is packing for our upcoming holiday trips, and so to distract ourselves from laundry, we have rented several movies. A few of those have made the rounds so far, and please, find their reviews (brief as they are!) below.

What I'm Reading

The Uses of Enchantment by Heidi Julavits.
It's a lovely blend of Freud's Dora, Salem witch trials, and 30-something visits home town after long period of absence story. I'm enjoying it, very much, and look forward to more reading time.

Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce.
I've recently received book 2 from the library, and really enjoy her writing style.

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson.
In anticipation of my second trip across the Pond, of course! Funny and irreverent and absolutely true.

Also in the Queue
Lisey's Story (Stephen King), Book of Fate (Brad Meltzer), Grave Surprise (Charlaine Harris), Machine's Child (Kage Baker), Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution (Caroline Weber), and still working through The Thirteenth Tale (Diane Setterfield).

What I'm Watching

Stay Alive
Gentle Reader, have I ever told you my absolute love of terrible horror movies? Stay Alive definitely fits the bill, and it's better than the Grudge and Pulse--although I don't know if that's much of a recommendation! Bonus, it has the distinction of being the last movie filmed in my beloved New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina. I must admit that most of my viewing pleasure comes from seeing my hometown, whole and sane once again.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend
Cute, predictable, and slightly annoying. Perhaps the acting, the plot, or the ex-girlfriends are crazy storyline that never ceases to amuse Hoi Polloi, but never ceases to annoy This Humble Author? Although I must admit: live shark in the apartment=mad crazy fun.

Sports Night
Mr. Reads and I are huge West Wing fans, and a friend of ours loaned us the first Sorkin series. Rocky at first, but it finds its stride and eventually, you see the genius that went into West Wing. Definitely worth picking up.

Also in the Queue
All the King's Men, Lady in the Water, Wicker Man, X-Files Season 8, West Wing Season 7

What I'm Recording

Low and behold, I walked into the bedroom and saw that Pup Reads had nested herself in the blankets, and with the book currently abandoned on the bed. You may remember, Friends, Pup Reads' adoration for All Books Meltzer (she finds them The Tastiest). It seems that she has also expressed her admiration for All Things Whedon.




So, of course, I had to truly introduce her to the Wonder That Is Joss.



She gave the page a lick, and said that she would get back to us with a lengthier review.

I hope to have reviews of this week's releases before I leave, so tune in tomorrow, Friends, for Catwoman and Birds of Prey goodness!

1 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger Amy Reads said...

Hi Loren,
Awwww...Pup Reads is the best! SOOOO cute.

She is, indeed, the cutest. She's part chocolate lab, and we think part border collie, but as she was a stray, we're not quite sure. But she is 50 pounds (!!!) of pure love and goodness!

I knew there was a reason I liked you right off...you're a DOG PERSON! Woo hoo!

I am indeed! And may I say, the immediate "dog person" vibe came from you as well :)
Mr. Reads and I are both highly allergic to cats, but really, it's just that we love dogs. Mr. Reads desperately wants a second (and third, and fourth) puppy, but I think Pup Reads would get her feelings hurt if we shared the love with anything else canine.
I'm a one dog kind of woman, I believe!
How many Pups do you have?
Ciao,
Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home